Even if you are setting up a small office network, there may be issues you did not expect. When one of your clients requires you to use a Windows terminal emulator, you could find that your existing settings are not good enough. Installing a network can go from very easy to very complicated very fast. Wireless networks make things much easier, as long as everyone is using laptops, because we don’t have to start installing dongles on all of those desktops. Here is a look at ways to avoid the common problems that often appear when small business owners install their own computer network without support.
- Internet Speeds. You might have had enough internet speed when you were running a single computer, but now that you have a number of computers on your network, you will probably find that you do not have enough. There are a number of ways to get more out of your internet connection, such as with a free application by Google, known as Namebench, or maybe you will have to speak to your ISP. You can expect the need for more internet speed, and more of it to be available.
- Wifi Issues. Wifi makes creating a network much easier because you do not have the issues of all of those cables everywhere. At the same time, cable networks are more stable, and this may influence some applications, such as VOIP video calling. Wifi networks will be unstable if you do not have enough power running through your Wifi router. Potential solutions to this problem are that you can either purchase a high-powered broadcaster, or you can make sure your computers are closer to the broadcast point.
- Security Issues. Security is always an issue when we are using computers. Now you are using a network you will need to understand this is even more of an issue. How protected are each of your computers from each other? How protected is your network? Do you know how to set levels of security and create a highly secure Wifi network? Always use Wifi security and regularly change your password.
- Device Issues. You might find you will have issues between different computers because they are using different applications and different operating systems. Starting your small business network means you will need to get all of your computer issues in order. Again, this is another reason to get professional help.
- Support Issues. Computer support for small-scale business is available. There are those companies who specialise in small business and home computing and network support. For a set fee you will get a certain amount of computer repairs and assistance each month. Paying this upfront can save you a lot of money in the long run. Having them setup your network might be the best option in the first place.
Having a smooth running network is important for any business, and just because you are a small business does not mean there is not a support company to match your needs.